Thursday, June 17, 2010

Visa here! Visa there! Visa, visa, everywhere!

So, the last 56 hours or so have reminded me again of why I pray. :) And they also have reminded me of how little I still truly know of traveling...

Those traveling in Japan on a tourist visa can stay in the country up to 90 days (or something like that), but those staying longer usually have to go through the application process for a working visa of some kind. When I went to Japan as a Volunteer Youth Ministry (VYM) volunteer, LCMS World Mission took care of most of that paperwork, and I really just sent them what they needed. I didn't have to take care of the timing of visas and flights and similar lovely things.

This time is a little different. The Japanese Lutheran Church (known as the Nihon Ruteru Kyoudan, or the NRK) used some documents we gathered together to apply for what is known as a certificate of eligibility. Once I get the certificate of eligibility, I will then (hopefully) be able to send it with other documents to the Japanese Consulate in Chicago and receive my actual visa within a few days...

My plane ticket is for June 29th. Two (I think) days ago, we were under the impression that it would take another TWO WEEKS just to receive the certificate of eligibility, so I spent time looking at changing my plane ticket to a new time. Then we suddenly learned that the certificate was received in Japan and was being mailed here ASAP. The only problem was that this was the weekend that I planned on saying goodbye to several people, and I had already made travel plans and scheduled meetings.

My poor parents and I have been bouncing back and forth from computer to cell phone, tracking this crazy document and its approach towards my home, and then as soon as we get it at home I'm going to drop all my plans and head home so I can leave home and ship it out as fast as I can. Oy. And then I'm going to pray very fervently that it will come back to me before my plane has to leave.

It probably feels much crazier than it sounds. :) Add the emotions of saying goodbye to people to the emotions/stress of filling out visa applications and tracking documents, and it just feels intense... I feel mentally like I'm in a Dr. Seuss book, reminding myself of times, deadlines, and passwords constantly.

*several hours later, because I lost internet at this point* :)

My visa stuff is mailed! Now I'm praying fervently that I didn't forget anything. :) Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment