Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Eyes to see the special blessings...

It's one week to the day before I leave! Oy! Today has been spent running around to various financial institutions and the post office (of course!), to try and get everything in order for the next couple of years (note to self--check on renewing driver's license! sigh...)

Anyway, I really don't like traveling, and I hate saying goodbye to people, and moving around is just not something I like to do...BUT I do recognize that those of us who travel around get some extra blessings that those who are more stable do not get to have. For example, I get to play blokus and watch Star Wars with my family, eat lunch with my dad, pack clothes and freeze strawberries with my mom, and spend time with them all that I otherwise would not spend (because I would presumably have a job and be away working in a normal young-adult life somewhere). Saying goodbye also forces me to not leave things unsaid--things like "I love you," "You're important to me," and "thank you for being a blessing," and leaving brings about such special memories, moments, and words...

Today I was driving around in my jeep (not really mine, but borrowed--and a gift!) and reflecting on the special blessings I experience through all of the goodbyes I say, and I was still reflecting on blessings when I went into the post office to ship my guitar overseas (yes, I did say ship my guitar overseas...gulp...). The man at the post office has become a friend through all of my various shipping-to-Japan experiences, and I was touched to tears when, after sticking all of the address and customs information on the guitar case and placing it on the scale, the man reached out and prayed quietly for the safe delivery of the guitar.

Moments of blessing...I highly recommend undertaking a lifestyle that you can't handle by yourself :)...it kind of makes you see the miracles in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment