Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New opportunities

I was expecting this blog to give an update regarding relief efforts, donations, students, etc. I expected to come back to Japan and do some volunteering, visit the evacuation stations around the city, and join others in prayer. I expected to keep praying for more students, more opportunities for relationships, more connections in the community...
I wasn't expecting to almost double our teaching hours. I wasn't expecting to start spending 75% of my time teaching with a different English company. I wasn't expecting to be emailing information about open job positions to other Christians, asking if they want to come teach in Fukushima.

Apparently, a few new things are being set into motion.

Because Fukushima City falls within the evacuation zone the USA has placed around the nuclear power plant, many English teachers have left the city. Schools and businesses all over the city have experienced shifts in personnel, and two English companies have contacted us to see if we could help connect them with teachers or teach some of their classes ourselves. As of the last 48 hours or so, Cindy and I will be teaching at the two churches (Fukushima and Koriyama) and three other places. I'm not sure how many more students that puts us in contact with--but I know that it's a rather large number! While my eyebrows are still up in the air a little over the changes in schedule and location and teaching this means for us, it's exciting to see new opportunities spring into existence--literally overnight!

Please pray for relationships of blessing and quick wisdom for new classes, and for God's provision and guidance in filling the open teaching positions here! And, as I'm reflecting about hopping on my bicycle and heading to the new school, can you pray that I end up finding these new locations and classrooms over these next few days? :)

Wondering what doors will open next...
Love,
Haidee

2 comments:

  1. Very happy that you all stayed: reflects so well on you as individuals and the organisations that support you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to ask this, but I stumbled across this blog when looking for updates on Koriyama, and I was wondering if you could provide some insight into how you're coping with the "radiation scare." I will be moving there in a few months to teach English, and though I'm relatively calm, it would be nice to have a fellow foreigner's view on it.

    Though I guess this is further proof that God works in mysterious ways--I hadn't even started searching for a church to attend in Koriyama!

    ReplyDelete