Saturday, February 12, 2011

Asking

Mark 5 documents an interaction between Jesus and others that has always struck me: "Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region." An evil spirit has left, pigs have died but a man has been saved...and the Bible hints that the surrounding people's fear motivated them to plead for this distance between their Savior and themselves.

We talked through the whole section in English Bible study a few days ago, and everyone had a comment on the verse. One in particular struck me: "If they'd known and believed in who Jesus was, they wouldn't have asked Him to leave."

Lips that do not yet admit to a profession of faith still profess, in many ways, the Holy Spirit's tugging of hearts.

Because Cindy has been traveling for the last week or so, I've had a quiet apartment at night and found myself devouring several missionaries' bibliographies we have on hand--missionaries such as James Fraser (China), David Wilkerson (New York), and Brother Andrew (he gets around...). Besides these men, a Bible study I'm working through has recently looked at the lives of Dwight Moody (Chicago, USA), William Carey (India), George Muller (England), and more... The thread that runs through each of the stories--no matter what country or time period--seems to be prayer, poured out from people who know that they are weak, but their LORD is strong. Their stories have much pain, much asking...and many miracles.

I thought of them--of these many weak, strange men of prayer--when I heard the Bible study student's comment.

"If they'd known and believed in who Jesus was, they wouldn't have asked Him to leave."

These men--not superheroes--knew Him. And they asked for their daily bread, for the lives of their families, for the Holy Spirit's power, for God's direction, for release from the bondage of addictions, for hope for children, for truth's freeing light...and so much more. In Bible study, we didn't talk about what the fearfully-gathered ones in Mark 5 would have asked Jesus, had they known Him.

But this all reminds me...that I know Him.

God, I know you as our peace (Eph. 2:14) and as the Head of the Church (Col. 1:18)...and I ask that you would bring peace in our divisions, fighting, pride, and bitterness.

I know you as our Creator, and the Creator of families (Gen. 2, 5:1-2)...and I ask that you would redeem and save the families of our church members who do not yet believe.

I know you as the Lord who has done great things, and fills your people with joy (Ps. 126)...and I ask that you would give us hearts of joy and thanksgiving.

I know you as the God of hope (Rom. 15:13)...and I ask that you would bring your hope and life to so many here who suffer depression and hopelessness.

I know you as one who chooses the weak (1 Cor. 1:27)...so I ask that you would work through me with your power, not my attempts at power.

If you know Him and believe, please join me in asking...

No comments:

Post a Comment