Friday, October 8, 2010

Naru-Hodo :)

Years ago, in Niigata, my adopted Japanese brother taught me a very useful Japanese phrase: naru-hodo, naru-hodo. The phrase means something like, "Oh, I get it! I get it!"--used at times of dawning realizations, new discoveries, etc. Here are the three most extreme naru-hodo moments of the last week, that I thought I'd share with you all. :)

1. Last Saturday I WASN'T attending a potato celebration. Who knew?! :) We were actually celebrating taro, which are deliciously similar to soft potatoes. :)

2. Teaching language in a foreign country somehow renders one language-less. Or, at least it renders me language-less. What was that word for living naturally again??...oh, sustainability is what I was going for (this is in a discussion of the aluminum company and the toxic sludge in Hungary). And what do we call people who work at fairs? Roadies? Vendors? And what does midway really mean? Sigh. Yes, all of this took place in one class yesterday!

3. My pastor and I work well together as a team. Though this is something I've known for awhile, I was reminded of it again when English Bible study Thursday night was a beautiful mix of two languages, Sensei's historical comments and insights, and my rather incoherent questions. Such a blessing!

Anyway, I'm off to prep for our first event targeting kids here in Fukushima, and I'm excited for this afternoon, the Creation Story, and songs, games, and general craziness. :) Sorry for the week of non-communicative-ness (oy, that's not English, is it? See point number 2 above.:))--I'll sit down and communicate hopefully after the impending bedlam of the afternoon is over! :) Prayers appreciated for the next hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment