Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hugo on confrontation and truth... :)

Whoever donated books to my apartment here in Japan had very good taste--for which I rejoice. :) Before I left for Tokyo, I went through the normal agonizing decision regarding which book to take for the bus trip, and I was having to choose between C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, a study in philosophical thought entitled From Hegel to Nietzsche, and Les Miserables (how do I type the accent mark? hmm....). And that's not even listing the books of poetry! My heart does internal happy dances over such luscious literary materials--really! How does one choose between such books? :)

Anyway, after many sighs and exclamations regarding the joys of literature, I decided to heft Les Miserables around for my time in Tokyo. Even after ten hours of transportation, I'm still only on page 544. Today I alternated between Japanese study and Les Mis and found this quality quote on truth that seemed to fit in with all of my "confrontation" questions:

"Let us attack, but let us distinguish. The characteristic of truth is never to run to excess. What need has she of exaggeration? Some things must be destroyed, and some things must be merely cleared up and investigated. What power there is in courteous and serious examination! Let us not carry flame where light alone will suffice."

No comments:

Post a Comment