Monday, July 19, 2010

Gu-cha Gu-cha

Ok, so I think I said the words above (in the title) multiple times today while rubbing my stomach or patting my head...but after my second straight day of intense Japanese meetings, lectures, games, songs, and the like, I'm not confident in anything related to language! :) Be forewarned as you begin to read this post! :)

Today Sensei, Cindy, and I went to Horai Church for a kid's ministry seminar. I was expecting a very Japanese-style lecture, but we were told at opening worship last night to wear clothes we could run around in...so we came this morning with a little trepidation and a lot of curiosity. It was priceless--priceless--wonderful--amazing--etc. etc. etc. !!!!! Just a tidbit--so, we spent half the morning running relay races together. Picture two tall Americans, a bunch of high school boys, and older church people all running back and forth across a small room, laughing hysterically. It was beautiful. :)

But let me back up a bit. I've wanted to do dance and drama ministry for Japanese children for awhile now, because dance and music are so much more a part of their lives, and it's such a good way to communicate. There have only been two problems thus far: I don't know any Japanese Christian music written for children, and I don't know how to dance (my ability to choreograph things is very limited)...

When Sensei told Cindy and I that we should all go to this Japanese children's ministry seminar, I didn't expect in my wildest dreams that I would spend an entire morning dancing to children's songs. But yes, I definitely got to learn multiple children's songs and dance to them. Nor did I expect, this morning, that I would learn new games to play with children, how to speak to Japanese children about faith and other important matters, how to pray with and for them, and more...oh...seriously, do you guys ever just find yourselves in a moment when a former dream is unfolding before your eyes and you just have to look upward and smile?! Today was one of those days.

I don't know how this will all tie together, or where it will lead. But God obviously doesn't forget dreams or passions, and the Holy Spirit knows what's next...I'll just wait and see...and while I wait, maybe I'll dance. Or get a bunch of kids together to rub their heads and pat their stomachs, saying "gucha-gucha" while we do it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment