Friday, June 4, 2010

"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." - Ps. 27

Sometimes, especially when I'm saying goodbye to people, I adopt this idea that life will always be sad and the only complete joy is in heaven. While that is maybe a true statement at face value, the verse of the Psalm above reminds me that God's goodness is seen today, every day, "in the land of the living"--"normal" days, sad days, happy days--peace and joy and strength and love come from a God who is intimately familiar and interested in our physical days.

Sometimes the looking forward in hope to heaven is faith-inspiring and obedient...other times it is me responding to God in bitterness, closing my eyes to the gifts of goodness I've received today. Please God, strengthen my faith so that I have both hope and confidence that you have goodness planned for eternity, the future, and for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment