Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fukushima summertime

As I sit here and eat my third batch of ice-cubes for the day, I thought I'd share a short dialogue between my roommate and I which, at the time, did not strike either of us as odd...

H: "So, I can run to the store. I'm guessing I should pick up liquid of some kind..."
C: "Yeah, that'd probably be good."
H: "Anything else? Should I get any ice cream for the computers?"
C: "Hmm...probably."

"Wait!" One might say. "Computers don't need ice cream." Let me explain...

It's a little warm here. :) I pulled up a heat index calculator earlier and discovered that the humidity and temperature adds up to feeling like about 130 degrees Fahrenheit. This does not bode well for either our bodies or our electronics--in the middle of working on my laptop a few days ago I began to smell something burning...followed by a heart-rending scream from my speakers...and my poor Toshiba froze solid (well...had a meltdown).

Because of this, we've recently been using the dry ice that we receive freely at the grocery store with an ice-cream purchase to help cool down our computers. :) The dry ice goes on top of a plate or bag and is placed inside a basket, upon which the computer is set. Then the rotating fan blows air over the dry ice...and hopefully provides a little cool air under the laptop. Our other electronics either fend for themselves or receive cold-water baths from time to time (particularly the refrigerator).

I confess...Cindy and I do actually eat the ice cream. But really...it's for the sake of our laptops that we bought it in the first place... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment