Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shaking ground and Lenten lists

It was the middle of the day, and Cindy and I were standing, talking in the kitchen, when the sliding doors began bouncing in their runners and the creaking walls started to sway and speak. The rolling and buckling of the earth is not strange in this country, but we stood with eyebrows raised and voices stopped mid-sentence, waiting for what felt like long minutes to see the outcome of massive power beyond our control.

We woke again in the dark hours of the morning to the same sound, same movement.

And again, as morning light filtered in, we were shaken from sleep by the rattle and clatter and apartment's side-to-side stretch...

Each time the quivering earth springs past boundaries and shakes without compassion, I can't help but think of how very small I am. How small my apartment is, how feeble attempts at safety seem in light of such massive movement... And it struck me yesterday that it was Ash Wednesday, and even as many around the world were beginning Lenten journeys of remembrance and celebration and seeking, I was thinking about human frailty and the utterly-dependent state we live in...even when we don't like to admit it. And I was thanking God for the daily, every-moment provision and salvation He gives.

I have been ruminating on walking through Lent this year by joining some other ladies in listing thanksgivings...is it okay to share those here? Right now I can't think of a better way to "do Lent"--to remember who I am (as utterly frail and completely safe in Him...) and who God is (the Glorious and Grace-filled One...) than to present black-and-white word-pictures of honest thanks.

So here's the start of my Lenten list: I'm thankful...

1. For mountains hidden away by storm clouds, giving me a very real picture of faith in what is unseen
2. For hours of conversation and dinner shared with fellow Christians last night
3. For adopted grandfathers...one in particular who had surgery in America today...
4. For family and friends who poke and pursue and provide more "real-life" grace than I ever imagine possible
5. For three beautiful girls who come to study English...for their smiles and laughter as we sing, speak, and learn
6. For a new young girl who wants to join classes
7. For God's amazing approval and the way that He entrusts us--humans!--with the Gospel... (1 Thess. 2:4).
8. For time to "live" (fight, play, eat...) and share the Bible with the Koriyama families today...
9. For the images of blood on the doorframes in Egypt, still speaking to our hearts today about Christ's sacrifice and blood...for the many-facets and times of the Bible's truth...

No comments:

Post a Comment