Sunday, July 4, 2010

Strong Tower

So, the pictures have been withheld because my laptop is not reading my camera...not sure what that's about, but when I try to move the pics from my camera to my laptop, I'm unable to do it as of right now... We've been dealing with random internet bugs and such things for the last couple of days, so technology is just getting a wrinkled nose from me at the moment. Seriously--Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world!...and we still often seem to *waste* so much time working out bugs and gliches and the like...ah, well.

Anyway... :) It was not my goal in this post to simply yell about technology. :)

This morning at church was my installation as an outreach worker here in Fukushima. I was ready for it to be slightly intense, because new people and tons of Japanese is bound to be a little overwhelming, after being gone for a year, but it was really a blessed morning. Saturday (yesterday), Cindy, Victor, Pr. Nomura, and I all spent quite a bit of time just singing praise songs and praying, and I think all of us came into our Sunday morning worship more refreshed because of it. I appreciate Sensei (Japanese for pastor) SO much...his sermon was all about mission and sharing the good news, but he used the verses from Luke where Jesus sent out the 72 disciples to remind us all that we are sent out, but we return again and again to God in prayer as we go. We are never to go outside of His presence--indeed, we cannot leave His presence--and we do not go as those who are homeless or impoverished. We go and share the Gospel as people who have a safe place, a strong tower, a heavenly home, a grace-filled Savior, a powerful Lord...

I love being on the front-lines and SEEING the reality of each of those things. Every day since I've come here, I miss some people back in America. Every day, I feel tired, or incompetent, or confused, or stressed in some way... Every day I sin... But maybe because of all of those obvious weaknesses and failures, God's power and mercy is so crystal-clear. Because of the darkness and fear so often felt and portrayed in this country, God's light and perfect love (which casts out fear) stand out in stark contrast to what is "normal." How often in America do we settle into lives that we can handle, control, manipulate, and feel successful in? And how often does our own ability and comfort shadow and hide God's daily miracles and gifts?

Sorry, now I'm preaching. It was so lovely though, to see Sensei, with tears in his eyes, remind the people of Fukushima church that God is their Strong Tower so that they can confidently speak of His love. Preach on, Sensei, preach on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment